[Pigasus] Pigasus Developer's Meeting 5/5 1:30PM Eastern

Justine Sherry sherry at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 29 13:34:04 EDT 2022

Dear All,

Please find below a title and abstract for next week's talk. Have a great
weekend!

*Shire: Making FPGA-accelerated Middlebox Development More Pleasant*

*Abstract:*With the increasing demand in cloud computing, there is a vital
need to efficiently transfer the data and process them on high-performance
and scalable systems within the data center. However, network bandwidth is
outpacing our ability to process packets in software, forcing cloud
providers to resort to specialized hardware. Unfortunately, hardware
development is an inherently intricate, laborious, and costly procedure.
Furthermore, integrating specialized hardware into a networked application
requires hardware-software co-design, exacerbating the situation as
developers with markedly different specializations have to collaborate.

In this talk, I will discuss Shire, a framework to systematically tackle
these challenges and lower the barrier to entry of hardware customization
for network middleboxes. The Shire framework enables easier reuse of
hardware accelerators, and brings software-like control and debugging to
FPGA-based middleboxes. Using the Shire framework, we ported the
state-of-the-art intrusion detector in less than a month and doubled its
throughput to 200 Gbps, alongside enabling on-the-fly updates of the
ruleset.

*Bio:*
Moein Khazraee is a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. He received his PhD in Computer Science and Engineering from UC
San Diego. His research interests lie primarily in the intersection of
network systems and computer architecture. He has worked on bringing the
hardware customization to different parts of the cloud infrastructure, such
as building data-centers from ASICs, co-optimizing network topology and ML
parallelization strategy, simplifying FPGA development for high-bandwidth
network middleboxes, and developing backhaul and compute-efficient
software-defined radios for mobile base stations. His current focus is on
benefiting from the rising Silicon Photonics technology to scale
performance beyond single-chip limitations.
--
Justine Sherry (she/her)
Assistant Professor